[mythtv-users] increasing volume in mythmovie?

Kurt Yoder ktymyth at yoderhome.com
Mon Apr 10 01:05:20 UTC 2006

On Apr 9, 2006, at 2:30 PM, Tom Greer wrote:

> > From: Kurt Yoder <ktymyth at yoderhome.com>
> > To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> > Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:04:33 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] increasing volume in mythmovie?

> 'volnorm'
> it. I

> >> "man mplayer" has some more details
> >> ----
> >> volnorm[=method:target]
> >>  Maximizes the volume without distorting the sound.
> >>           <method>
> >>                Sets the used method.
> >>                   1: Use a single sample to smooth the
> variations via
> >> the standard weighted mean over past samples (default).
> >>                   2: Use several samples to smooth the
> variations via
> >> the standard weighted mean over past samples.
> >>
> >>           <target>
> >>                Sets the target amplitude as a fraction of the
> maximum
> >> for the sample type (default: 0.25).
> >
> > Hmm... my mplayer only has "method", but not "target" in the man
> > page. I'm using a Debian package from ftp.nerim.net: "1.0-
> > pre7cvs20051102-0sarge0.1". So I guess you have a newer version?
> >
> I had similar problems with low volume until someone suggested
> using alsamixer.  Its a character-based gui app that lets you set
> loads of settings for capture and playback.  Making some adjustment
> via alsamixer made my problems go away.
>
> If  you are not using alsa, I recommend that you switch and then
> use this.

Yeah, I used this to increase the sound output of my sound card,
though I can't go to 100% without getting a lot of distortion. I have
on-board sound: Realtek ALC850 sound chip, nvidia nforce ck804
chipset. I'm still facing the problem where the movie playback volume
via mplayer is noticeably quieter than the playback volume of myth
recordings. It would be nice if I could equalize the volumes for
these two types of playbacks.

--

Kurt Yoder
http://yoderhome.com