[mythtv-users] OT: Is playing DVD's on Linux legal in the US yet?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 23:21:16 UTC 2006

This is a 2 part discussion:

1.  Any new news on playing DVD's on linux?  The latest thing I can find is:
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/20469/
Beyond that, it's back in what, 2001 where there were 2 cases that
seemed to be defining DVD's on linux, and the outcome of either case
didn't really answer the question clearly.  Is DeCSS illegal in the
US?  The funny thing is that I see people on this list who were
associated with those cases, so I assume they definitely know where
the line is drawn.  I'm not even wondering about ripping, simply
playing DVD's via MythTV.

2.  Is it a simple configuration parameter when compiling mythplugins
to remove the ability to rip DVD's, yet still allow playing?  And a
sorta addon to this part, are there any legal issues using mplayer to
playback Home Videos that were encoded in windows using windows
codecs/software?

Thanks!

Chad