[mythtv-users] reiserfsck from ReiserFS reports "getmem: Out Of Memory" on 2.6.16-1.2069_FC4

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Sun Apr 9 20:39:12 UTC 2006

On Sun Apr 09, 2006 at 02:47:37PM -0400, Jeff wrote:

> 2.6.11 boots fine but when I try to boot 2.6.16 I get an error during the
> boot process from
> reiserfsck. It reports "getmem: out of memory" and aborts leaving me in the
> 'repair filesystem'
> menu (when I enter the root password).
>
> Would converting the filesystem to reiser4 help?

Firstly, you cannot convert the filesystem to reiser4 - you can only
wipe it and reformat it with reiser4.  Secondly, I'd recommend against
this - I ran a system with reiser4 a few months ago and had no end of
problems before going back to reiser3 (fortunately I had enough free
disk space to move everything around).

I seem to remember having had similar out of memory problems in the past
- I think it was down to kernel compilation options but I can't quite
remember what (4k stacks perhaps?).  I'd suggest trying kernel versions
in between and, once you find where it breaks, contacting the packager
to see what was changed with that version.

Cheers,
        Robin

--
     ___