[mythtv-users] AC3 passthrough abnormality

Charles Waddell daniel_waddell01 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 18:02:35 UTC 2006

I recently added satelite speakers to my sound system (3.1 to 6.1). I have
alsa configured for AC3 passthrough, and it works flawlessly in Xine playing
DVDs. However when I have surround sound through mythtv, the speaker output
is all mixed up. The most obvious mixup is that the center channel audio
outputs through the left satelite, but all speakers are outputting audio. I
currently have /dev/adsp set as the audio output device and have audio
optical output to my receiver. Here are some settings you might need to help
me out, I am lost on this one.

aplay -l
card 0: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958 [IEC1724 IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

here is my .asoundrc (I use ALSA:default for xine)

pcm.spacespdifdmix {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 83484784
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
                format S32_LE
                rate 44100
        }
}

pcm.spacespdif {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm spacespdifdmix
        }
}

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm spacespdifdmix
        }
}

# For ogle

pcm.!spdif {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
                format S32_LE
        }
}

# For mplayer, ao (mplayer -ac hwac3, -ao alsa9:mplayer)
# For vlc, use mplayer as alsa device

pcm.!iec958 {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
                format S32_LE
        }

pcm.mplayer {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
                format S32_LE
        }
}

Thanks in advance for looking at my problem.

--Daniel