[mythtv-users] New to HD, which nvidia card

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Apr 9 16:55:59 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 12:25 pm, Brad wrote:
> I have a mythtv box running with SDTV and I like it a lot.  I want to
> upgrade my GeForce 4 MX 4000 and am looking to the near future when I
> get an HDTV.  After lots of research on the different nvidia cards out
> there I am more lost than ever.  I have been thinking about an FX 5200
> but am concerned I won't be able to run newer games very well.  I also
> want to make sure that whatever HDTV I get I can have the best display.
> Should I step up to a 5500 or 5700 or even into the 6xxx series?
>
> I have a GA-K8U-939 board so no PCIe.  What would be a good AGP nvidia
> card to get assuming I am getting an HDTV in the next 6 months?  I do a
> little bit of gaming, but right now it is mostly Q3A.  I would like to
> stay under $140 US.  It's a pretty noisy box right now, so I am not sure
> that fanless is a big deal, though I would like to start working on
> getting it quieter.

I'd go for a 6200 AGP model. This is what I bought:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1776106&CatId=935

These cards had AGP + XvMC problems with older version of the nvidia
drivers, but 8756 (released a few days ago) seems to have cleared
all of that up. 3D accel is noticeably faster than my 5200, and it's
low profile, which is good for cramped cases and air flow.

Only disadvantage is that your OSD will be black and white as these
cards don't support the full color Chromakey OSD.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net