[mythtv-users] increasing volume in mythmovie?

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 05:06:36 UTC 2006

On 4/8/06, Kurt Yoder <ktymyth at yoderhome.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Robin Neatherway wrote:
>
> > On 4/8/06, Kurt Yoder <ktymyth at yoderhome.com> wrote:
> > If you're using mplayer, you can try applying the filter 'volnorm'
> > with -af volnorm which maximises the sound without distorting it. I
> > use this for playing DVDs which are usually quite quiet.
>
> Thanks. That works well, but it still isn't as loud as the regular
> recordings. Can I add even more volume?

"man mplayer" has some more details
----
volnorm[=method:target]
 Maximizes the volume without distorting the sound.
          <method>
               Sets the used method.
                  1: Use a single sample to smooth the variations via
the standard weighted mean over past samples (default).
                  2: Use several samples to smooth the variations via
the standard weighted mean over past samples.

          <target>
               Sets the target amplitude as a fraction of the maximum
for the sample type (default: 0.25).
------

So in the script I use to kick off mplayer, I am trying -ao oss
volnorm=2:0.5 and similar (I actually use ALSA with OSS emulation but
if I tell mplayer to use ALSA directly, I experience sync issues where
if it uses OSS, sync is good).