[mythtv-users] Building My System

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 8 21:54:00 UTC 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 3:35 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 4/8/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> I started assembling components before reading this group's
>>> recommendations. With the exception of buying a PCR-350 (which I
>>> got a
>>> good deal on), I think I ended up OK. I'll know in a few days after
>>> the FX-5200 shows up. (I'll post my hardware configuration if it
>>> works.)
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for is a recommendation for which OS to load. I
>>> have
>>> the most familiarity with Fedora, but can run most things Linux.
>>> Should I start with FC4, or go to FC5, or is a Debian/Knoppix
>>> distribution easier/better.
>>
>> I would go with Fedora then. Not because it's better in any way than
>> the others, but because it's what you know already. It's hard enough
>> to get myth set up right, you shouldn't have to wrestle with the OS
>> itself too.
>
> second vote to just stick with Fedora.

I don't want to be accused of  "pushing" any particular one-disk
distro, they are all good, but you should be aware that one of them
(MythDora) is built on FC4, so if you are more comfortable with that
Linux implementation you might explore it if you're looking for an
"all-in-one".

OTOH you will learn more about how MythTV and all its dependencies
work if you build it from scratch, and there is some very good
guidance out there from our friend Jarod.

As far as posting your H/W config, post it if it *doesn't* work as
well as if it works, easier to get help that way :-)