[mythtv-users] backend performance question

Azmat azmat.hussain at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 21:18:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to attempt my first foray into setting up a
decoupled backend system, but I wanted some advice on what kind of
hardware to use to ensure the most reliable performance.

Here's the HW configuration I'm aiming for:
Case: Dell Poweredge Server 1300
MB: Dual processor Slot 1, currently has a single Pentium II in it,
but I will be installing dual Pentinum III's
CPUs: Dual Pentium III  600-800 MHz
RAM: 512MB (4x128MB) PC100 DIMMs
Hard Drives: 200 GB, 300 GB IDE ATA/100 LVM grouped
Optical Drive: Generic CD-ROM
Video Card: Onboard video (headless system)
Sound Card: None
NIC: 10/100
Video Capture Devices:
     Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
     ATI TV Wonder Pro
     Firewire capture from Motorola DCT-6200

Assuming simultaneous capture on all 3 devices (not likely, but would
still like to plan for it), as well as commercial flagging, nuvexport
post-processing, and also simultaneously streaming to a front-end;
does it seem likely that this system would be able to keep up?

Thanks for the advice,
Azmat