[mythtv-users] 'Censoring' decoding 'bad' words off of Closed Captioning

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Sat Apr 8 16:27:12 UTC 2006

> ------------------------------
> From: Steve Meyers <steve-lists-mythtv at spamwiz.com>
>
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> My personal opinion is that it is a wasted effort. Who are you trying
>> to protect ?? Even if it is kids, they are going to encounter such
>> language in the real world and are better served by being educated as
>> to what such language is, that it is improper in most cases etc.
>
> Believe it or not, some adults don't enjoy hearing "bad" words, and I'm
> not just talking about the F word.  Several shows that I enjoy are great
> except for words like "ass" that seem to be increasingly prevalent in
> network TV.  Also, lots of good family shows don't seem to mind taking
> the Lord's name in vain ("oh my God").  I know most people don't care
> about that, but some of us do.

I don't know if this was the TV Guardian box or not, but I had the
interesting experience of trying to watch a Monty Python and the Holy
Grail DVD at a friend's house that had one of these boxes that would blank
out words that it considered (or was trained to consider) inapproptiate.
I honestly found it quite annoying as the audio would just stop for a few
seconds here and there, usually in what I considered to be the better
parts of the movie.  We also happened to have the captions showing since
everyone else in the house was asleep and we didn't want to have the
volume up too loud.  That was an even more interesting experience as this
one would insert alternative phrases in place of the ones it was stripping
out.  Once example I remember was replacing the words "oral sex" with
"oral hugging".