[mythtv-users] Video dies every few hours

Tim Brailsford tim.brailsford at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Apr 8 11:31:34 UTC 2006

Kurt Yoder wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Tim Brailsford wrote:
>
>> I am new to MythTV, and have a weird problem that has beaten me so
>> far.
>> I am using MythTV 0.19 on Ubuntu 5.10 with a Hauppauge PVR-150 -
>> set up
>> using Daniel Hyams superb instructions
>> (hyams.webhop.net/mythtv/myth_ubuntu.html).  Initially everything
>> works
>> just fine, but after I leave the backend running for about 4-6
>> hours the
>> video dies.  All I get if I try to watch live TV is a black screen,
>> and
>> any scheduled recordings lock up the card for the duration of the
>> recording but end up by just generating a few seconds of the black
>> screen.  When this happens if I try to use Mplayer to watch the video
>> device I get the message:
>>
>>     Playing /dev/video0.
>>     Cache fill:   0.00% (0 bytes)
>>     Exiting... (Quit)
>>
>> After this I can't play video until I reboot the computer, whereupon
>> everything works again - for another few hours.  I can't see anything
>> suspicious in dmesg or /var/log/messages.
>>
>> Any ideas would be very gratefully received.
>>
>> Tim.
>>

> Did you put your ringbuffer on a different physical disk than your
> recordings? I seem to recall similar problems when I first started
> using myth until I moved the ringbuffer and recordings onto separate
> disks.
> --
>
> Kurt Yoder
> http://yoderhome.com

Thanks for the suggestion, though I'm not sure I understand how to do
this.  I thought that with version 0.19 the live buffer (which I presume
is the same thing as the ringbuffer - please correct me if I am wrong)
is treated the same way as live TV.  In mythtv-setup the only directory
that I can see is the directory to hold recordings (I have this set to a
different volume that of the main mythtv installation).  Is there any
way of putting the live TV on a separate volume from the recordings?  If
so then I shall try that.

Tim.