[mythtv-users] 'Censoring' decoding 'bad' words off of Closed Captioning

Steve Meyers steve-lists-mythtv at spamwiz.com
Sat Apr 8 06:22:45 UTC 2006

Steve Hodge wrote:
> I'm curious. Does the censoring actually improve the situation that
> much? I mean you still know what was said, right? Is it really just
> that actual sound of the word/phrase that bothers you, or is it the
> sentiment being expressed?

Yes, it does.  You have to understand that with closed captioning,
there's no way to know exactly when each word is said.  The way
TVGuardian works is to blank out the entire phrase that's on the CC if a
"bad" word/phrase is found.  By blanking out the entire word, you miss a
little bit of context, but it generally keeps you from even knowing for
sure what was actually said.  After a while, you grow accustomed to it,
and it doesn't even really bother you.

One other feature of the TVGuardian is to put the CC on the screen
whenever it blanks a phrase, with a replacement word.  This helps even
more, because you shift your focus briefly to the CC on the screen,
instead of lip-reading what the actor is saying.

All in all, I find it very effective.  Everyone I know who has one
swears by it.