[mythtv-users] What should I look for in a soundcard?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 00:30:30 UTC 2006

cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks for bringing up this topic.  I too am interested in some sound
> hardware, but some of my audiophile friends tell me I should try to
> get the sound out of the computer.  They recommend those USB sound
> thingies.  Word is, you can avoid all the noise and interference
> inside a computer by moving the digitisation/conversion outside of the
> computer.  As you can tell, I don't really understand this topic.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these devices?
>
> Fry's was selling the turtle beach model for like $80 last weekend.  I
> didn't buy one because I don't know what level the Linux support for
> those devices is.
>
> Looking forward to the discussion on this topic.

Check out: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
for cards that work (or don't work) on ALSA.

I've always had good luck with cards that use the ICE1712 chip. You
really won't have problems with noise with cards "in" the computer. At
least, you shouldn't if it's setup right.  The Delta 66
(http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta66-main.html) has a breakout
box (uses ICE1712) and I have no problems. I also have a Digital Audio
Labs CardDeluxe
(http://www.digitalaudio.com/DIGITALAUDIO/myarticles.asp?P=5210&S=75&PubID=4401)
which does not have a breakout box and it's very clean (if you're really
worried)

You probably don't want to spend that much, so look at the other M-Audio
cards here (with suggested pricing):
http://www.midiman.net/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces.
The Delta Audiophile 2496 is supported by alsa. You can search the
linux-audio-user mailing list
(http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user/) for other
cards (like Revolution) to see comments on their usage.

All M-Audio cards are very good. I recommend them.

brad