[mythtv-users] Caption Operators, was: 'Censoring' decoding 'bad' words off of Closed Captioning

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 7 21:18:17 UTC 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 2:53 PM, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Just in case you're interested:
>>
>> "Live" captions are not hand-typed in the way you are thinking. They
>> are inputted to a computer using the same type of keyboard that's
>> used by court stenographers, using a phonetic alphabet.
>
> wow, thanks for that very in-depth and insightful e-mail!  always
> wondered how those things got there and now i know! :)

I worry about putting things like that on this list. It's pretty OT,
but I think anybody reading this list has a more-than-average
interest in television and a better-than-average curiosity level.

So unless somebody complains I'll probably continue to post such info
if it seems appropriate. Nice to know somebody is interested.