[mythtv-users] Some Info on the Video Without Boundaries Boxes

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Fri Apr 7 18:35:26 UTC 2006

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Warren wrote:
>
>> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>>
>>> This looks like a really nice candidate for a mythfrontend system to an
>>> SDTV, possibly capable
>>> of playing back HDTV at SDTV resolutions. I assume the OS is just loaded
>>> on the HD? Or does
>>> it use a ROM for booting?
>>>

>> It's an OS on an HD.  I have been trying to get one of them stable
>> enough to do exactly that.  The added bonus of a keyboard and remote
>> control that are mapped to look like keyboard input without any
>> additional drivers is nice too, but the main problem is keeping the
>> damned thing stable.  Removing the APM and ACPI drivers from the
>> kernel seems to help.  I am going to try removing PCMCIA as well since
>> mine will be hardwired to my house network and I know that there have
>> been historical problems with PCMCIA on this motherboard.
>>

> Let us know what result you get. BTW, how are you "hard wiring" it to
> the network if not via the PCMCIA?
> Does it have an ethernet port?
>
> Also, you mentioned before that the RCA video input on the back isn't
> connected to the hardware encoder.
> What's it connected to then?
>
> Thanks!

You answered the ethernet port question (Realtek 8139 series to be more
specific).  The video input IIRC is on the I2C bus and is available as
/dev/video1 (or one of those 0-2) through V4L.  The ivtv cards generally
showed up as video3.  Depending on the driver set used, the Sigma chip
was video1 and the direct input video0 or sometimes visa-versa. I used
to use softlinks so I could change them easily when newer drivers were
introduced.