[mythtv-users] Some Info on the Video Without Boundaries Boxes

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Fri Apr 7 17:42:42 UTC 2006

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Warren wrote:
>
>> That's almost correct.  They are not the most technical down there.  The
>> board is made for them.
>>
>> The Processor is a C3A (Nehemiah) 1Ghz.  The Sigma 8475 may or may not
>> actually be used.  There are no drivers for it in the 2.6 kernel
>> series.  When the original board was spec'd out there was a question as
>> to whether the VIA processor would be able to handle the MPEG4 content
>> so it was added.  Since everything is MPEG2 on this machine there is no
>> reason to assume that the 8475 is even needed.  In the last version of
>> the software that we did for the 4000 which was written with porting to
>> the 5000 in mind we did not use it at all.
>>
>> I do not know what video capture card was finally decided upon, but
>> originally the spec for the 5000 was a Hauppauge 150.  If that is the
>> case, it explains the coax, although it would be an input, not an
>> output.  Take a look at
>> http://www.vwbinc.com/pdf/MR4000%20Brochure%205-10%20web.pdf for the
>> specs of the 4000.  The bottom-right picture shows the i/o ports on the
>> 4000, which are likely to be the same on the 5000.  From left to right
>> in rows
>> 1) composite video and stereo audio in ***Not hooked up to MPEG capture
>> hardware
>> 2) Composite video and stereo audio out.
>> 3) Y/Pb/Pr component out fed from a VT1623 which means 480p max
>> 4) 6-channel analog audio out - This was having problems but looked to
>> possibly be solved on the last version of the board I have.
>> 5) Digital audio out, both fiber and coax.
>>
>> Additionally there are USB and Firewire connectors on the back and on
>> the front.  S-Video in and out on the back, Composite and stereo input
>> on the front (again not hooked up to MPEG compression hardware). PCMCIA
>> and ISO card slots on the front.  The 5000 was supposed to add a larger
>> HD, DVD/RW and PVR onto basically the same motherboard.
>>
>> As for HD playback, it has the ability to do so from an MPEG2 source,
>> although scaled down to 480p.  I have done that myself through xine.
>>

>>> The device does not have a way to input baseband HD (not surprising
>>> but I had to ask).
>>>
>>> It is said you can get HD programming into the machine via "USB or
>>> network". This implies it is able to play it back but I wouldn't bet
>>> the bank on that.
>>>
>>> I asked what video inputs the machine has. the answer was "3
>>> composite video, 2 S-Video, 1 coax video outputs". This answer
>>> confuses me but it is a direct quote.
>>>

> This looks like a really nice candidate for a mythfrontend system to an
> SDTV, possibly capable
> of playing back HDTV at SDTV resolutions. I assume the OS is just loaded
> on the HD? Or does
> it use a ROM for booting?

It's an OS on an HD.  I have been trying to get one of them stable
enough to do exactly that.  The added bonus of a keyboard and remote
control that are mapped to look like keyboard input without any
additional drivers is nice too, but the main problem is keeping the
damned thing stable.  Removing the APM and ACPI drivers from the kernel
seems to help.  I am going to try removing PCMCIA as well since mine
will be hardwired to my house network and I know that there have been
historical problems with PCMCIA on this motherboard.