[mythtv-users] MSI K8NGM2-FID Integrated Motherboard for Mythtv?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:35:57 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, David Krainess <davidkrainess at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been looking for a motherboard with integrated
> TV out support, preferably with NVidia video, of
> course.
>
> The MSI K8NGM2-FID seems to be generating a lot of
> exitement in the HTPC world.
>
> These 2 extremely long threads discuss this board.
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=601451
>
> http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1803985
>
> The only thing I find in this forum is a mention of a
> problem with ALSA SPDIF support, which I don't need, I
> use the analog audio line out.
>
> If this is going to take hours (or days, weeks) of
> frustration to get it to work (or not work) in MythTV,
> maybe it is not such a good value.
>
> My setup would be:
> PVR150, Retail (not MCE version) with remote
> RCA video out, hopefully with an adapter via the
> S-Video plug
> Analog line out for sound
>
> So the questions are....
>
> 1. Is anybody using this with MythTV and using the
> 6150 onboard video?
>
> 2. Experiences, thoughts, warnings, yada, yada, yada?
>
> 3. Oh and what could this possibly be (the leftmost
> image, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite
> like that before on a ribbon cable that can hook into
> a motherboard)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=13-130-529-06.jpg

I've got an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum for my fe/be and have not had
problems with the ALC850's spdif in ALSA, and since they are all AC'97
chips I don't see it being an issue.

As for the 6150, I don't believe it is supported in driver 7676, which
means you will have to use a newer driver, and thus may experience
issues with XvMC and OpenGL VSynch. Of course, if you put a fast
enough CPU you won't need XvMC for HDTV, especially if its only acting
as a frontend.

Other than that it looks like a great board for a small HTPC frontend!

--
Steve