[mythtv-users] Any comments about stability of MythTV for mission critical application

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Fri Apr 7 07:41:49 UTC 2006

On to, 2006-04-06 at 13:30 +0100, Paul Wheeler wrote:
> The main instability will be hard drive failure (or any other bit of
> hardware but the hard drives always seem to go first [....] It would
> need monitoring that there arent any small memory leaks in any of the
> software used but apart from that i dont see why not.

Yeah, such as the ones where mythtranscode eats up 500 megs of memory
when encountering DVB recordings that have stream errors (caused by
signal loss or commercials inserted without regard for stream
integrity), or the ones where these errors cause the re-encoded stream
to lose image synchrozation, or the ones where the frontend crashes, or
how the log spews 600 megs of "unknown decoding error" and "stride
changed" messages in two hours....

Don't get me wrong, I would not like to think of not using MythTV, but
frankly, 0.18 was a whole lot more reliable than 0.19 has been.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>    http://www.fishpool.org