[mythtv-users] please sanity check my new hardware

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Apr 7 05:01:46 UTC 2006

Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> [...]

i had good success with a ati radeon 9600 in my HTPC ... wasn't "broken"
by any means ... my new nVidia (GeForce 6600GT) does a much better job
of scaling the video (ie: no more "stair stepping" on diagonal lines in
the video), but other than that is at least comparable

>> I'll agree, 7 years ago when I started using linux I had a horrible
>> time with my Nvidia card...

i started using linux about 8 years ago with an STB Nitro 3D (talk about
a piece! ... what was it, 2MB?  4MB? :p) ... a few years back, I got a
Dell w/ an nVidia GeForce2 MX4 that I used for video (well before myth,
since it was my only PC and I needed to do desktop work + video on the
TV via s-video out) ... it worked well and was very stable (and
obviously a lot better than the STB :P) ...

the jump from the GeForce2 to Radeon 9600 was huge ... also switched
from svid to VGA->transcoder->component for video, so the picture was
AMAZING compared to how it was w/ svid ...

i'm still using the vga->transcoder->component instead of the "dongle"
that came w/ the 6600GT because i couldn't figure out how to get 540p
working any other way (my tv's 1080i-native and does a crappy job of
upscaling 480p and 720p), but i'm absolutely loving it ... i don't do
gaming, so i couldn't begin to compare 3D capabilities of nVidia to ATI ...

oh, and i was using the closed-source drivers for both nVidia cards and
ATI card ... personally, i could give a care less if it's closed source
as long as it works :)

-g-