[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 4 - new features, and now, fewer bugs!

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 03:48:33 UTC 2006

First off, I appreciate any and all new Myth-related software/hardware
announcements in the Myth **USERS** list (I would understand a
complaint if it was misposted in -dev). After all, it's the users of
myth that are interested in this stuff. I have no other way of knowing
about these new releases in a timely fashion, and some of them do
spike my interest. As is the case with Tapeworm, I took a look at it,
and even read the story of his child being diagnosed.
(http://www.spurgeonwoods.com/josstory.html) I can only imagine the
hoariness of that. Issac, if you or your kids ever come down with
cancer, it'll be Karma telling you something.

Secondly, I see ALL TO OFTEN on the lists that someone asks for a
program, feature, function and the devs in the know say "do it
yourself". While I understand where that attitude comes from, what I
don't understand is when someone does go and create something to share
with the myth community, they're ridiculed and picked apart (even
worse by Issac, who obviously OWNS Mythtv and the list! [Yeah, that's
right, OWNS -- bet the other devs like that type of speak]). Anyway,
my point here is, what incentive does anyone have to create works to
work with Mythtv and support the growth of the software if all they
get in return is a irrational BS from Issac and/or the other devs
"higher" than us lame users?

Third, I read his licensing requirement and deiced not to use his
software. It's that f***ing simple. Maybe I'm a cheap bastard, but if
you don't agree with the licensing, DON'T USE THE PRODUCT. After all,
the GPL is what attracted me to MythTV. I knew that even if Issac goes
off his rocker, Myth will turn into someone elses baby and I'm not
left with an obsolete and unsupported product.

> But that sort of insular attitude -- along, I might say, with the
> way you overreact to many other things which happen in "your" mythtv
> community -- is the sort of attitude which causes forks in the long run.
> (Mythweb was independent before it was a supplied module, was it not?
> Was it first announced to the world here?)

I don't even know Issac personally, but having read many of his
negative and self absorbed comments, it sure seems like a fork in the
community is due. It's just sad it's the end users that suffer from
that. Two half assed products certainly don't add up to one sweet one.
Mythtv is sweet, but why the f**k does every single time someone tries
to get involved in a way Issac doesn't believe in, it's all the sudden
the worst thing in the world? Where's the level headed higher ups,
hiding, non-existent?

> It really sucks that you designed and implemented a project that's so
> popular that there are lots of non-hackers who want to use it and be
> involved with it, and that you hosted up a wiki and it got a million
> hits in a couple weeks. These things are all horrible.

It would also be horrible to take all of Issac's work away from him
and turn it into a more prosperous product. I'm guessing that hasn't
happened because he's still contributing the majority of the code. I
was apparently mistaken in my believe that myth had multiple
developers and was a community supported product.

> But regardless of what your opinions of these facts are, if your
> interpersonal reactions to people about the facts don't calm the hell
> down a bit, you're going to make yourself irrelevant.

As far as I'm concerned, he's already done that.

Lastly, all this GPL violation bullshit...is just that. A simple SQL
script and some mpg porn files pumped to my favorite samba share turns
Tapeworm into a downright advanced network streaming porn player. It's
versatile enough in that sense, and certainly the only thing relating
it to Mythtv is it understands the table structure of mythtv. So now a
similar table structure constitutes a GPL violation? Haha!

-Kenneth