[mythtv-users] TapeWorm - a Mea Culpa.

David Woods david at spurgeonwoods.com
Fri Apr 7 02:40:44 UTC 2006

> > > He wasn't.  He made a one-time announcement of a program which works
> > > with your software to provide a function which your software does not,
> > > announcing it in arguably the only forum where it *is* pertinent.
> > >
> > > That a couple people saw fit to reply and ask him questions does not
> in
> > > any way recharacterise his original posting as "using [your] [sic]
> > > mailing lists for user support" for his application.
> >
> > True, but, he did respond to the posts in such a manner as to change
> > the intent of the original email. Had he, after people responded on
> > list, asked people to kindly email him off list with their issues, or
> > better yet told people to email him off list with their issues, I am
> > willing to bet Isaac would not have issue with the announcement
> > emails.
>
> Exactly.  No issues whatsoever if that had been the case.

Isaac et al.

My apologies.  It was certainly not my intent to misuse your list or to
offend anyone.

I will certainly move any support for TapeWorm off list immediately.

My intent was to offer something I thought some of the people in this
community would find valuable.  Based on the response I got, I think some in
your community did find it valuable.  Isaac, I will defer to your preference
about whether I may announce new releases on this list in the future, so
please let me know if that would be okay, and if so, under what terms.  (I
don't anticipate that new releases will be common after this first week of
feedback.)

Clearly, there are norms on this list that differ from other online
development communities I am part of.  That was not evident to me from
reading the list over the last few weeks.  I do apologize for violating
those norms.  I meant no offense.

David