[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Apr 6 23:47:44 UTC 2006

> Oh come on. The Myth team are not the only programmers in the world.
>  From what I have read, Sage has the reputation of being one of the
> better Windows programs for this purpose, there is a good chance it
> was developed on Linux, certainly its developers have some Unix
> background.

Yeah, Sage for windows looks entirely different from Myth. The only
reason I even had an inkling that they were related was because:

A). the people of VWB and Sage said that they were working together on
that MR5000
B). this pdf of the MR5000 shows a screenshot that looks EXACTLY like
myth. Seriously, take a look, it looks nothing like Sage:

http://www.vwbinc.com/pdf/MR5000%20Brochure%205-10%20web.pdf

> It would probably be easier for them to port their Windows product to
> Linux then to "steal" MythTV.

Agreed, but look at the screenshot. If nothing else, they stole the
screenshot :-P

> OTOH, if it turns out they have used GPL code from Myth, and have
> done so in a proper way, then the Myth project will have benefitted
> even more people than we thought, nothing wrong with that.

Oh, definitely! That product looks great, I'd love to have a box like
that that has EVERYTHING! I just hope that if there is Myth code in
there that they donate some of their code back to the project.