[mythtv-users] i386 vs x86_64

Support [ Ian Ward ] support at cyberpro.com.au
Thu Apr 6 23:22:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

My existing BE/FE is FC3 i386 and I have a few casual FE's ( bootable
partitions on PC's )
My new dedicated BE is Athlon Dual Core X2 with four 300 Gig SATA, it
will live in the garage on a UPS and make as much noise as it wants.
It looks like things are settling down for FC5 and as this will be a
dedicated BE, I will use FC5.

My question,
Is it worth the hassle to use 64Bit FC5?  Does it actually result in
better performance?
The only "processing" that a dedicated BE will do is transcoding, is
this any faster?

Thanks
Big thanks to the myth developers, I love showing off to my friends what
myth can do
( I can see they are jealous that they are not geeky enough to make it
work )