[mythtv-users] PVR-350 mpeg decoder; limited to tv-output only or no?

Nathan Vidican mythtv at envieweb.net
Thu Apr 6 21:02:03 UTC 2006

Recently purchased a PVR-500MCE; having compatability issues with the VIA
chipsett'd motherboards I've got, and don't really need 2 tuners...

So looking to swap the PVR-500 for a PVR-350, noting that it has a hardware
mpeg decoder too; but is this encoder of any use through the system's video
card? Or, is the use of the hardware decoder only applicable if I use the
output from the card itself? Basically, can I use the hardware decoder in lieu
of a software decoder and still leave everything connected as it is?

I've got an AMD Athlon Xp 2600, 1Gb ram, 160GB S-ATA drive, connected to a
Toshiba 46" dlp tv set via RGB (VGA 15pin) connector of the videocard - an
nVidia 256Mb AGP8x 6200 based card.

--
Nathan Vidican
nathan at vidican.com