[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 6 17:27:34 UTC 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Mike Angstadt wrote:

> Well I might risk $450 for the "smaller feature set". Going to look
> into it at least.
>
> The smaller featured one might make a good frontend, but looks like
> it doesn't include tuners.

Yeah, and if their "guide" service includes a cost then it is just
another TiVo. My interest would be in the hardware alone I suspect,
and I need a lot more info, for example VIA makes a lot of chips,
precisely which one of them are they using ?

As I said I sent them questions. I got an automatic response from
some outfit called "Centuric", who I suspect has been contracted to
provide help desk services, probably not from California :-)

I'll see if I get more info.

> Also, despite the article talking about CableCard support,
> according to this press release:
> http://www.vwbinc.com/press/011706pr.html
> It looks like the MediaReady 6000 is the first of their products to
> actually include CableCard support.  And that one isn't listed in
> their products yet, so not sure what the price would be.

And would it include some monthly charge as well ?? I don't know what
their business model is but you can bet it is not to provide Myth
hardware for cheap :-)