[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 4 - new features, and now, fewer bugs!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 16:56:06 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
<snip>

> > I would never want to be somebody standing behind the logic that
> > TapeWorm violates GPL, it's a very shaky conclusion, I was just
> > putting it out there as GPL can be in some ways interpreted to mean
> > that.
>
> This is why lawyers make so much money.

no, they make so much money because poorly written and mostly
unnecesary laws exist.

interesting thread none the less.

I would like to point out that
A) he does not require the donation, he's just asking you to help out.
B) he does not ask for it in his name, nor does it look like he is
checking to see if you donated. He's calling on the gods of Karma to
do it. So all you how didn't donate, thats why your having all these
bugs and lack of features!

That said, I don't think "Char(ity)-Ware" as he calls it does much to
violate the intent and purpose of the GPL, and from what I understand
does not violate the letter of the GPL as he does not charge.

The non-open source-ness does though. Perhaps he will be willing to
open a sourceforge project for it?

--
Steve