[mythtv-users] OT Bootloader that can detect how machine was started?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 16:31:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 04:10:30PM +0100, Dawson, Guy wrote:
> I know that this in not a MythTV question,  but I only use Linux as
> the basis of Myth system so I don't have anywhere else to go...
>
> Does anyone know of a way of have a PC boot into Windows if the
> power button is pressed, or into Linux in response to a WakeOverLan
> event.
>
> The most powerful machine I have is the machine used by the whole
> family for gaming and surfing.  It seems such a waste not to use it
> for transcoding.  So what I thought was s that I'd set it up for
> dual boot (no problem with that).  However it's not easy getting
> machine time (kids are addicted to The Sims), so I though it would
> bee good if my myth backend wake it up during the day when there's
> no-one around. (Or maybe I'm just crazy!)

I think I've seen some kind of computer cases that let you choose a
boot partition by flipping a switch on the outside or something, but I
can't remember it offhand.

Given such a case (and that it interoperates properly with GRUB/LILO),
you could leave the switch in the "boot Windows" position for people
to press the power button, and leave GRUB/LILO configured to boot
Linux for Wake-on-LAN.

--Rob