[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 4 - new features, and now, fewer bugs!

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Apr 6 15:39:37 UTC 2006

> > Plus, I'm pretty sure GPL doesn't technically allow that - TapeWorm
> > wouldn't operate without Myth, and thus it's using Myth as part of its
> > system.
>
> This is plain silly. For a start it doesn't even connect to Myth at
> any point. This program only connects a mysql database and then a
> samba share.

Compare it to a binary patch. If somebody were to create a new feature
for myth and sell it as a linux binary patch that attaches to Myth,
that would obviously be a violation of GPL since it is using Myth,
right? Now look at the big picture - that app is binary and also uses
myth - just because the connection is technically Samba and MySQL
doesn't mean that it's not a patch that adds onto the myth system. It
doesn't connect DIRECTLY to myth, but it does connect to the myth
database and myth directory structure. Just because those are
accessible doesn't mean that it's free reign.

By itself, that TapeWorm program doesn't function - it requires Myth
to operate. The connection it makes to Myth via MySQL and Samba had to
be coded by either A). Reading Myth souce code, or B).
reverse-engineering by looking through the database.

It does sound absurd, I agree, but effectively it is somebody
"profiting" off myth without contributing his code back to the
community, the exact thing GPL is designed to prevent. If anyone
deserves to charge a $10 donation-in-their-name fee, it's the MythTV
developers.

 - Jeff