[mythtv-users] In need of major hand-holding, FC4 & pcHDTV bare metal install

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 6 15:31:14 UTC 2006

JacqueUsi wrote:

> Finally took the leap from FC3 & MythTV .15 to FC4 & .19 on a Dell SC400
> (one PVR250 and two HD-3000) working as a backend. Used Jarod's guide
> and as usual smooth as silk (PVR250 worked on my first try), at least
> until I got to the HDTV portion. After two days, I'm still at an impasse.
>
> I've reviewed both mythtv.org/wiki/ and gossamer and have come up with
> more questions than answers. FC4 and copying the firmware to
> /lib/firmware should be enough to get the cards working, right? I've
> gone through about 30 of the 45+ pages on gossamer but can't seem to get
> all the pieces together.
Need more info really....

Most likely reason is the the kernel/ivtv tveeprom problem.
Next most likely is that Fedora is loading the wrong cx88 module: the
NTSC one, and not the ATSC one.

You don't say which kernel version you have. If its a 'from-the-iso' FC4
install you have something like kernel 2.6.11-1369.
You should update/upgrade. The kernel modules are lots better in 2.6.15.
If it's actually bare metal you might as well go directly to FC5!

Make sure that you do not have an ivtv version of tveeprom.ko hanging
around in the lib/modules tree. Run depmod after renaming/removing.

Check dmesg to see if the cx88-dvb module is being loaded. If so you
will see reference to the firmware for the oren5132 (or somesuch) being
loaded. If there is no reference to that, but instead references to
cx8800 then you need to clear the modprobe.conf file of any cx88 module
load commands, and put some lines into rc.local to modprobe -r cx8800
and modprobe cx88-dvb.

Somewhere in one of the /lib/modules/modules.xxx files, I saw a listing
of modules and what appear to be hardware addresses. The cx8800 is
referenced at something like  xxxxxx00 while the cx88-dvb is referenced
at xxxxxx02. I suspect that that ordering is why the kernel loads the
'wrong' module first.

Geoff