[mythtv-users] mythcontrols - Skip ahead/back?

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Apr 6 13:42:52 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > I just found out about mythcontrols - Great plugin!
> >
> > the 0.18 to 0.19 update changed the default function ot the left/right
> > arrow keys from a 30 second / 5 second skip to enabling fastforward /
> > rewind. Fastforward and Rewind no longer work, so I'd like to change
> > the behavior back to what it used to be.
>
> This didn't happen to me when I upgraded, are you sure it was the upgrade?
>
> I can't help you in terms of mythcontrols, but if you've got mythweb
> installed go into the keybindings editor and look for SEEKFFWD and
> SEEKRWND in TVPlayback.

Yeah, it was definitely the upgrade. I push the left and right arrows,
and instead of skips I get fluid FF/RW (well, only fluid at 3x and
only for a short time before it all crumbles down)

Hmm. It looks like the keys are set correctly (but the descriptions
are very misleading):

TV Playback  	SEEKFFWD  	Fast Forward
TV Playback 	SEEKRWND 	Rewind
TV Playback  	JUMPFFWD  	Jump ahead
TV Playback 	JUMPRWND 	Jump back
TV Playback 	FFWDSTICKY 	Fast Forward (Sticky) or Forward one frame
while paused
TV Playback 	RWNDSTICKY 	Rewind (Sticky) or Rewind one frame while paused

I was under the impression that the function "Fast Forward" is when
you go through the video at some multiplier of the default speed,
skipping frames as necessary (3x, 10x, etc). Conversely, skipping is
when you just skip over some section of time as a block (30s, 5s, 10
min, etc).

SEEKFFWD is called "Fast Forward" for some reason? Aren't those two
separate functions?

I would have expected these to be the available functions:

Fast forward sticky: press it, and it starts fast-forwarding. Press it
again, and it changes the speed.
Fast forward: only fast forwards while the button is pressed - when
you let go, it stops.
Skip: skip ahead by a short time
Jump: skip ahead by a large time

But there seems to only be 3 of those 4.

Incidentally, my keybindings are correct, SEEKFFWD is set to "Right",
which is what I expect to hit to skip ahead 30s. What it instead does
is turns on fast-forward, which crashes mythfrontend.

Suggestions?