[mythtv-users] DVB -> No PS Mode anymore :(

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 12:35:52 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Michael,
>
> I found all that you had pointed out to me.
>
> Can you clarify some vauge points for me?
>
> I assume that DVB-s is recorded in TS and transcoding then converts to PS.
> If that is the case then shouldn't I be able to burn the transcoded file
> simply by using dvdauthor at that point?

you could, but compatibility with players may be a problem as the
transcoding doesn't specifically create mpeg2 files strictly adherent
to the DVD standard. Some players may not care, some will.

> Since the original program is recorded into a single file I notice mostly
> when trying to run projectx on the file it splits it into audio/video
> streams does transcoding leave a single file or does it also try to split it
> out? I only see a single file in the recording directory and the log says it
> was successful in transcoding.

projectX only creates separate files in some modes, in others it does
not demux the file. As for Myth's transcode, it does the same, in that
it does not demux, it just outputs a single file PS mode mpg.

> I'm just trying to figure out how to backup a program to DVD that been
> recorded via DVB-s...

This will depend mostly on what you want to play back the DVD on. If
you want to be able to play it back on ANY player, your best bet is to
reencode the mpeg2 using something like mencoder to a mpeg2 strictly
adherent to the DVD standard. If you just want to be able to play it
back on a computer, ie MythDVD, then you could probably just use the
output of Myth's transcode.

--
Steve