[mythtv-users] Any comments about stability of MythTV for mission critical application

Paul Wheeler paulrwheeler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 12:30:09 UTC 2006

>I'm new to Linux, but did manage to configure a working MythTV (Myth
0.19 w/ Fedora Core 4) box >using the guide at www.wilsonet.com. My
interest was sparked while researching a computer >based digital
recording solution for a computer customer of mine. He has a media
archive >business and records the local news morning, noon and night.
He is currently using DVD >recorders, but would like to do storage and
editing on his computer. For testing purposes, I have >setup a MythTV
backend and networked it into my home network. I can open the video
storage >directory on the MythTV box from my windows XP computer and
copy, play and edit the videos. >Would like to build a machine with
three (3) tuner cards. Is MythTV stable enough to use for an
>application that must work every day?
>Thanks
 >
>Aaron P. Uhrig

The main instability will be hard drive failure (or any other bit of
hardware but the hard drives always seem to go first :-( ). Assuming
you have suitable methods to deal with this and keep the machine going
then the backend will go on for ever I think, Mine has been going for
months without the need for a restart of either the comp or just the
backend process. It would need monitoring that there arent any small
memory leaks in any of the software used but apart from that i dont
see why not.

Paul