[mythtv-users] Any comments about stability of MythTV for mission critical application

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Apr 6 10:44:10 UTC 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 3:17 AM, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> Aaron P. Uhrig wrote:
>> to build a machine with three (3) tuner cards. Is MythTV stable
>> enough
>> to use for an application that must work every day?
>
> IMHO, you can only trust MythTV as a "mission critical" application as
> long as you are willing to run it on a box all my itself, and then
> NEVER
> EVER update that machine again.  It's great software, but it has very
> narrow/deep dependencies that cause it to fall apart when you update
> other software on your box.
>
> --
> "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
> carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

I wouldn't use it to fly nuclear weapons from place to place or hook
up a respirator to it if that's what you mean. If no one's life is at
stake, how "mission critical" does it need to be? The best advice for
a solid machine is to break out your backend and frontend into two
boxes. Backend seems rock solid to me. Front ends (with all the
variables that go into running it) can bring down your machine from
time to time. Just my experience anyway.