[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 6 02:53:19 UTC 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 8:32 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

>>> HD-capable tivos have been available for quite some time now.
>>
>> Yes, but not the series 1 and series 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but
>> aren't the only HD TiVos units that rely on the content already being
>> encoded into mpeg? I do not know of a TiVo that can take baseband
>> HDTV, either component, DVI or whatever, and encode it to mpeg to
>> write to a disk, or any units that can write unencoded HD to any
>> storage medium.
>
> I'm not sure what you think is a "series 1" and a "series 2", but it
> sounds like you think that a tivo without an encoder is neither series
> 1 nor 2. That is incorrect. All of the recent tivos are considered
> "series 2", including the encoder-less DirecTV-tivos, as well as
> HD-capable tivos.
> (There is also a series 3 that just came out. It's been spotted on
> Amazon
> and a few other sites, but last I checked it was still out of stock)

Perhaps I should have said "standalone", I meant a TiVo not designed
to be used with any particular service, such as DirecTV. Sorry if my
understanding of their nomenclature is flawed.

>> AFAIK any HD-capable mpeg encoder is way out of any normal consumer's
>> price range.
>
> Fortunately, no "normal consumer" needs an HD-capable mpeg encoder,
> since the signals they're receiving will already be encoded.

Well I'd love to have such a device. I can get HD video out of my
Dish receiver as component or as a DVI signal, but not as an MPEG
stream. There is no way for me to record the Dish HD signals except
with their receiver/DVR. I certainly can't get those signals into my
Myth system.

The same is true of my SD Dish receiver (I have no access to the mpeg
stream), but I have the option of taking its video output and feeding
it into a PVR card, not the best situation as it adds an additional
decode/encode that is not really necessary, but it works and actually
looks pretty good, normally better than my analog cable.

So an HD encoder would give me additional capability that I do not
have now, but AFAIK sucj a product is not available for anything less
than the cost of a house.