[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 5 23:31:54 UTC 2006

On 04/05/2006 04:50 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

>I think several factors work against the 350, or at least the mpeg-2
>decoder in it.

No timestretch.
No closed-caption support (must use the TV's CC decoder to display them,
meaning you have to keep your TV remote nearby)

>I think it is agreed that except for that mpeg decoder the350s output
>is in every way inferior to a $40 5200 card,

(Although as a former 350 user and a current MX440 user, I don't agree
with the "exception."  My 440 output does not seem inferior to the 350
decoder's output.)

> so I am referring to its
>decoder use and not its use as a standard framebuffer.
>
>HD will be a bigger and bigger factor as time goes on, and the 350
>can't handle that.
>
>More and more people will go mpeg-4, as CPUs get faster and storage
>requirements for HD get bigger, and as direct to mpeg4 capture
>devices become more common.
>
>I hear that Myth will be going to an Open-GL based UI, which would be
>a problem for the 350.
>
>5200s will get cheaper as time goes on.
>
>All of these things would argue against buying a 350 today

Definitely.  IMHO, it's a waste of money (and I wish I could get back
the money I wasted on mine 2 years ago--only consolation is that my
PVR-250 and 2xPVR-150's have treated me well and Hauppauge has been very
supportive of Linux users, so I can think of it as a donation to a
company that understands open source).

>, and the
>limited number of systems using them will decline as more people go
>to HD.
>
>Would you be an avid developer of support for this card under these
>circumstances ??

Well put.

Mike