[mythtv-users] Hot Key to Program Guide

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:22:03 UTC 2006

On 03/04/06, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
> My wife is having difficulty adapting to MythTV  (It's too complicated, she
> says.)
>
> She is accustomed to using the DCT-6214 DVR from Cox Cable.
>
> To make things really simple, I took the same remote to which she's
> accustomed and used it for MythTV.  Via LIRC, I mapped each of the buttons
> on the DCT-6412 remote to perform the exact same function in MythTV.
>
> Her biggest complaint surrounds accessing the program guide.  On the
> DCT-6212, she simply pushed the "guide" button on the remote.  I mapped the
> "Guide" button to the "M" key.   According to the mythtv.org how-to
> document, this should invoke the Electronic Program Guide (EPG).
>
> Instead of seeing the EPG, a menu is displayed.  The first item on the list
> is "Program Guide". So an extra push on the "Select" button is required.  No
> problem for me; but this seems to be a show stopper for my wife.
>
> Is there any way to directly invoke the Program Guide without accessing the
> intermediary menu?
>
> Please, please help.  I've invested a lot of work and I have big aspirations
> to expand this throughout the house; but wife-support is a critical
> component.

The way I achieved this (I had a big green "TV Guide" button on the
remote) was to use MythWeb's JumpPoints editor. The first entry in the
JumpPoints editor listing was "Program Guide" so I assigned it an
unused key (I used F2). Then in my lircrc file, I just assigned the TV
Guide button on the remote to this key, and that was it. No divorce
required, and much cheaper!

The key bindings editor states that 'S' displays the Guide in the
context of TV Playback, so I opted for an unsed key that works from
anywhere.

Nick