[mythtv-users] rename channel numbers?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:13:15 UTC 2006

On 02/04/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Is it possible to 'rename' the numbers by which channels show up in the
> program guide? Compared to my TV the numbering seems somewhat inconsistent.
> For example, the Fox HD and SD channels are shown as 2.1 and 2.2 on my TV
> when using the built-in tuner, but myth shows them as 21 and 2.2 respectively.
> Other (sub)channels also use the mixed x.y and xy notation, while yet other
> channels are consistent in using either x.y or xy. I would like to use the
> x.y-format for all channels.

The 'channum' field is your friend here - you should be able to rename
your channels (including duplicates) to a common naming convention so
that MythWeb and LiveTV show them as you want them.

If you ensure that any duplicate channels (e.g. one channel is
available on 2 different sources) have identical channum, callsign and
name, you should only see one entry in MythWeb's TV listings which can
really cut down the amount of information on the screen.

As long as you DO NOT touch the chanid values (which are used for
scheduling/remembering old recorded shows etc) you should be able to
achieve what you want quite quickly.

Nick