[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 5 17:16:55 UTC 2006

>The only thing I find easier about Tivo over Myth currently is setup.
>But given that TiVo, like Apple, is fixed hardware, that makes sense.

It's not just because of the hardware. Myth, like many other popular
open source projects, suffers from the "make it an option!" syndrome:
every little thing is configurable, because some people want this and
some people want that, and when consensus can't be reached, a feature
is made configurable. Tivo on the other hand has severely limited the
number of things you can configure, and sometimes that's a Good Thing.

>My only real gripe with the TV side of Myth right now is the CPU
>requirements for HD which has caused playback hickups since I barely
>meet the requirements. I'm sure with a >4000+ Athlon I wouldn't have
>this issue. I also think I may need to increase the number of disks in
>my RAID5 array, but thats only because I'll shortly be adding two HD
>capable frontends.

I have a combined front/backend, single disk, Athlon64 3200+ and it's
more than sufficient for HD playback.