[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:03:29 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:

> >> I always liked the TiVi "dogbone" shape.
> >>
> >> Does your wife miss the $12.95/month bill ??
> >>

> > not as much as the $2000 spent on Myth... (well, whatever amount...
> > lump some payments always seem like more than monthly ones).
> >

> hear hear. MythTV only makes sense as a hobby or if you need the added
> functionality/disk space.
> Tivo is cheaper (and probably easier to use and possibly more reliable)
> by far. I suspect that might
> change as time marches on though.

The only thing I find easier about Tivo over Myth currently is setup.
But given that TiVo, like Apple, is fixed hardware, that makes sense.
Watching Live TV and Recordings from within Myth is quite easy and
stable on my system, plus I have 5 tuners, something I'd never have
with TiVo.

My only real gripe with the TV side of Myth right now is the CPU
requirements for HD which has caused playback hickups since I barely
meet the requirements. I'm sure with a >4000+ Athlon I wouldn't have
this issue. I also think I may need to increase the number of disks in
my RAID5 array, but thats only because I'll shortly be adding two HD
capable frontends.

--
Steve