[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Compact Flash drive in an Xbox FE. Isthere any increase in speed?

Wander Winkelhorst w.winkelhorst at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 14:17:02 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Richard Dale <richard at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> I think you're seeing the RAM-impaired Xbox swap out stuff to swap in the
> playback and buffering code.
>
> Let's say it's swapping out around 20MB worth of data.  Most CF cards are
> upwards of 3-4MB/sec so the swap would last about 5 seconds.
>
> You might also look to remove as many running programs as possible to reduce
> your swap load.

I don't know if this helps, but you guys might want to try to play
with the /proc/sys/vm/swappiness file. This file controls what Linux'
VM favours, either cache (swap out programs for increased cache) or
programs (reduce cache instead of swapping programs out to disc)
so echo a value to this file like this:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
or
echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

and see if it changes the performance of your Xbox.

Regards,
Wander