[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 3 release - a parasitic Windowsfront end for MythTV

David Woods david at spurgeonwoods.com
Wed Apr 5 13:09:18 UTC 2006

> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 3 release - a parasitic
> Windowsfront end for MythTV
>

> > The new version is available at:
> > http://david.spurgeonwoods.com/tapeworm
> >
> > David
>
> Tried this version. Upgraded from beta1. Two things I see right away. The
> configure dialog box will not come up. The other problem is unchanged from
> b1. Windows recognizes the mpg files and plays them fine however the
> transcoded nuv files are not recognized by windows and although they do
> play
> its very jerky with frequent pauses. Any thoughts?

The configure dialog comes up fine for me.  I wonder if there's something in
your data values that's causing it to fail -- a Unicode character in your
video path maybe?  Look for a file called TapeWorm.exe.log, and let me know
what the error traceback in that file says.

As for *.nuv files, all TapeWorm does is spawn a process to load a media
player.  It's the media player's job to play the video.  I'm betting you get
the same behavior if you call up your media player and try to play a *.nuv
file without TapeWorm running.  There's nothing I can do to fix that.  The
solution might be to upgrade your network, or to avoid *.nuv files in favor
of *.mpg files that do work.

(I hypothesize that WinMyth uses *.nuv under the hood and that's why it
never worked for me, giving the same choppy video performance you describe.
That's why I wrote TapeWorm in the first place.)

David