[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Compact Flash drive in an Xbox FE. Is there any increase in speed?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 07:40:25 UTC 2006

Howdy all,

I have always noticed that my Xbox frontend can have 'slow' points,
such as when it is opening the recorded programs screen and when a
recording is first starting to playback.  Sometimes you can see the
screen being painted from top-to-bottom.  (I have always watch on a
FE/BE machine so find that it is very noticable on the Xbox).

I realise that half of the problem is the fact that the Xbox only has
a Celeron 633MHz CPU and 64MB RAM, but the HDD seems to be making an
incredible amount of noise at these times.

I have been thinking of 'restyling' my Xbox into more of a PVR-styled
unit and am wondering whether there would be any performance increase
from swapping the HDD out to a Compact Flash drive (using a CF to IDE
converter).  It would certainly save space and cut the noise.

Does anybody have any opinion or experience with this setup or what
the advantages might be?

Setup:
Xbox 1.4
Cromwell ROM