[mythtv-users] Detecting unencrypted HD channels

David Shay david at shay.net
Tue Apr 4 17:11:30 UTC 2006

R. G. Newbury wrote:

>William Powell wrote:
>

>>i understand that this hardware isn't even close to being fast enough to
>>view hd format video. this hardware is only intended as a recording
>>backend. at this point I am only trying to determine what my available
>>unencrypted HD channels are.
>>

>Lets be clear here. You really mean unencrypted DIGITAL channels, don't
>you?  That is, SD and/or HD?
>
>  >

>>I am following the procedures outlined in the mythtv wiki at:
>>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
>>
>>I have scanned for channels using atscscan and got a channels.conf with
>>233 detected channels. here is a small sample of this channels.conf:
>>[000-0002]:561000000:QAM_256:2112:2113:2
>>[001-0003]:561000000:QAM_256:2176:2177:3

You might want to try this script here:

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/linux/qamscan.sh.txt

It automates all of the calls to atscscan, azap, and mplayer and
generates a myth-importable channels.conf for you.  It found 99% of my
channels for me.  It requires that you have the dvb-apps directory
somewhere.  I got mine directly from cvs/mercurial following the
instructions here:  http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/

Really makes short work of the process. Probably need to update the wiki
to reflect this option.