[mythtv-users] Myth TV media extenders?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 4 16:40:50 UTC 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 2006, at 7:06 AM, Nathan Vidican wrote:
>>

>>> Similar to Windows Media Extenders; ie Linksys unit, X-Box 360's,
>>> etc, and
>>> similar to cheaper alternatives; is there anything one can do for a
>>> mythtv-extender like?
>>>
>>> Essentially, a bare-bones mythfrontend-driven box with a remote
>>> control to
>>> attach to a TV. The cheaper the better, so long as it works... the
>>> idea being
>>> one large mythtv backend 'server' and a frontend box on each tv
>>> in the
>>> household, will be using Hauppauge PVR-500's for input from three
>>> dishnetwork
>>> satellite receivers, and am looking to possibly add a fourth card
>>> for local
>>> HDTV/SD-DTV signals.
>>>

>> The Hauppauge MediaMVP works great with some limitations:
>>
>> The changes to the LiveTV system introduced with 0.19 have not yet
>> been incorporated into the MVP software, so you can only watch
>> recordings. Hopefully this will change soon.
>>
>> Only MPEG-2 files can be played, the hardware decoder can't handle
>> MPEG-4.
>>
>> It does have a remote and I recently bought one on closeout at
>> Circuit City for $39US, I got my first one on sale at Radio Shack for
>> $29, so if you look around you can get one cheap.
>>

> Does it have the horsepower to decode HDTV for display on it's SDTV
> outputs?
> I didn't realize these things run Linux. How interesting. Has anyone
> hacked them?
>
> A full blown HDTV version of this with SPDIF output and support for
> 802.11N
> when it comes out would be really slick.

In a word : No. It is strictly an SD device.

It has been "hacked" to the point where there is a TFTP-loadable
firmware image that's a stripped down Myth frontend.

I suspect the product is about to be supplanted, that's what usually
happens when everyone starts clearing them out cheap. Perhaps its
successor will be more capable.