[mythtv-users] 0.19 - Possible to have native lirc behavior more like mplayer?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 15:35:30 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> Sasha Z wrote:
> > On 4/4/06, Sasha Z <kleptophobiac at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Right now I have mythtv compiled in native lirc mode, reading a lircrc
> >> file, and doing my general bidding.
> >>
> >> However, lots of buttons are mapped twice or not at all, and I'm not
> >> making most efficient use of my remote. Part of my problem is that
> >> myth recognizes things as keyboard keystrokes rather than individual
> >> events. It would be really nice to be able to bind an action to an
> >> arbitrary name, and allow that arbitrary name to overlap functions as
> >> desired.
> >>
> >> I tried doing this in mythweb's key bindings editor, but there was no effect.
> >>
> >> -- Sasha
> >>

> > OK, let me try and make this a little clearer. I want to have entries like this:
> >
> > begin
> >   prog = mythtv
> >   button = volup
> >   config = volup
> >   repeat = 2
> >   delay = 2
> > end
> >
> > Instead of like this:
> >
> > begin
> >   prog = mythtv
> >   button = volup
> >   config = F11
> >   repeat = 2
> >   delay = 2
> > end
> >
> > Then I would go through in mythweb and set all the things that I want
> > bound to volup to have a key binding of "volup". I would also like to
> > be able to define jump points.
> >
> > However, when I assign values to "key binding" in mythweb for my host,
> > put them in as the "config = <blah>" in lircrc, and restart
> > mythfrontend, it doesn't take effect. My jump points don't register,
> > my new names don't register.
> >
> > Is there something I'm doing wrong?
> >
> MythTV actions are bound to keystrokes. Unless you have a key on your
> keyboard named 'volup', then no, you can't do it that way. But I'm
> somewhat confused by your problem. Are you binding the keys to the
> backend or frontend host? There are separate key bindings for each
> hostname, so you have to make sure that you are changing the correct
> host. The latest MythWeb works very well, you can select which host you
> want to modify. Have you tried the Myth frontend key binding application?
>
> Tom

and since you can use modifiers like the CTRL key the real issue is
giving functions more independent hooks, but if you look at the full
list, there are already a lot of hooks, they just happen to map to a
very limited selection of keys. There is a plugin and a mythweb module
that are able to change the keys though.

--
Steve