[mythtv-users] HD-3000 recording corruption

Steven Ihde steve at x2.hamachi.us
Tue Apr 4 15:19:32 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 14:21, Steven Ihde wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 14:11, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> > Sounds like interference getting into the HD-3000 from the video card.
> > Try moving them farther apart, electrically shielding the card(s), and
> > make sure if you have a jumper cable between the sound card and the
> > HD-3000 that it is either removed or has RFI protection (a couple of
> > turns through a torroidal core at each end).
>
> I suspected RFI too.  I moved the cards as far away as possible.  There's
> no audio jumper, and I even tried unplugging the monitor cable.  I also
> removed the cable splitter in case it was poorly shielded.  Nothing seemed
> to help.
>
> I suspect a noisy video card more than an overly sensitive HD-3000, since
> swapping out the nVidia for the Radeon made the problem disappear
> completely (though it causes other problems as noted in my previous mail).
> Maybe I'll try an nVidia card from a different manufacturer (this one was
> 3D Fuzion I think).

In case anyone's curious... I tried using aluminum foil as an RFI shield and
didn't get anywhere.  It made no perceptible difference.

But, I traded the 3D Fuzion 6200-based card for a PNY 5500-based card, and the
problem went away completely.  I'm now able to watch standard-def,
unencrypted digital cable channels with mplayer without any trouble.  (My
system is too underpowered for HD as I previously mentioned.)  Next step, get
Myth to recognize the channels.

Thanks,

Steve