[mythtv-users] power failure - now lirc stopped working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 4 02:41:12 UTC 2006

On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Lucien D. wrote:

> On 4/3/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Lucien D. wrote:
>>
>> Let's start at the beginning, if it can't connect to the device the
>> first question is, does the device exist ??
>>
>> What does "ls -l /dev/lirc*" tell you ??
>
> srw-rw-rw-  1 root root  0 Mar 30 23:49 /dev/lircd
>
> /dev/lirc:
> total 0
> crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 0 Mar 30 23:52 0

Not sure I completely understand what you have here.

I would have expected something like mine :

ls -l /dev/lirc*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crw-------  1 root root 61, 0 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc0
crw-------  1 root root 61, 1 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc1
crw-------  1 root root 61, 2 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc2
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lircd

There are multiple character devices because I have 3 PVRs with i2c
remote interfaces.

Note the socket device just as you show, but I don't understand what
you are showing for the character device, it should be /dev/lirc and/
or /dev/lirc0, if it is simply called "0" in the directory /dev/lirc
it is not going to work, at least in my limited experience.

Actually this could depend on your LIRC options. You should have
somewhere a configuration file for lircd, it might be /etc/sysconfig/
lircd or it might be /etc/conf.d/lircd, depending on your system. In
any case it might have "LIRCD_OPTIONS" which should point to the
correct character device, otherwise I think it defaults to /dev/lirc.

You might try making links, "ln -s /dev/lirc/0 /dev/lirc" and "ln -s /
dev/lirc/0 /dev/lirc0"

Then restart lircd and see if you still get the error. This will at
least put the devices where they are in my (working) system, which is
all I have to compare it with right now.

Just a stupid question: I'm assuming this is a 2.6 kernel udev
system, am I assuming too much ?

This is now a quest, we *will* get this working :-)