[mythtv-users] PVR-250 How to get brighter whites

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 4 01:21:27 UTC 2006

On Apr 3, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Randy Ferrill wrote:

> I have been living with a Mythtv box now for more than 2 years
> (oldest recording on the box is Jan 20, 2004).
>
> One thing that has been nagging me is switching back to normal live
> tv not thru the mythtv box.... the colors are much brighter and
> whites are whiter. I sort of get used to the muted colors and have
> read thru all the archives on tuning but nothing is working.  Any
> tips for this color issue?

Sorry, I can't resist:

Have you tried "Cheer with ColorGuard" ???

=======================================

But seriously, you can adjust the normal parameters (contrast,
brightness, hue and saturation). One mistake people make is that
there are two sets of controls, one for the recordings ("F") and one
for playback (which would include LiveTV) ("G").

You might also try just powering down for a few minutes so the
registers in your capture card will reset (assuming you're using a
PVR, you didn't mention your setup).

Your set might also be misadjusted for one of the inputs, if you are
not using the same input for live and myth. If you are going through
a VCR or other appliance that might also be causing a shift in the
parameters.

I'm willing to bet that the "muted" colors are the right ones, most
people seriously over drive their video and chroma, and some sets are
in fact set up to cater to that mistaken idea of a "good picture".