[mythtv-users] Hot Key to Program Guide

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 22:37:10 UTC 2006

My wife is having difficulty adapting to MythTV  (It's too complicated, she
says.)

She is accustomed to using the DCT-6214 DVR from Cox Cable.

To make things really simple, I took the same remote to which she's
accustomed and used it for MythTV.  Via LIRC, I mapped each of the buttons
on the DCT-6412 remote to perform the exact same function in MythTV.

Her biggest complaint surrounds accessing the program guide.  On the
DCT-6212, she simply pushed the "guide" button on the remote.  I mapped the
"Guide" button to the "M" key.   According to the mythtv.org how-to
document, this should invoke the Electronic Program Guide (EPG).

Instead of seeing the EPG, a menu is displayed.  The first item on the list
is "Program Guide". So an extra push on the "Select" button is required.  No
problem for me; but this seems to be a show stopper for my wife.

Is there any way to directly invoke the Program Guide without accessing the
intermediary menu?

Please, please help.  I've invested a lot of work and I have big aspirations
to expand this throughout the house; but wife-support is a critical
component.