[mythtv-users] moving mythbox onto different network? computer says nooooo...

Christopher Friend christopher_friend at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:10:39 UTC 2006

aaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.....

took me a week to set up mythtv originally (+ a month to get all the little
bits like remotes/mythweb working). but there i was all chuffed with a
perfectly working myth box, and what do i go and do? move back home from
uni. and all hell breaks lose...

i'll start at the beginning then.

1. took me a while to figure out how to do the whole ip
address/subnet/gateway/dns name thing to network it to my xp machine at home
that's sharing the internet to everything. so far the best i've got is web
browsing and ftp working, it's refusing to do anything with instant
messenger programs, rpm updaters, anything other than http and ftp really.
so now the myth stuff...

2. what with all the changing of ip addresses to network the thing, myth
then refused to acknowledge the fact that i'd already spent weeks setting it
up, and went back to square one. a day later and ... hmm... i'm too tired to
make this make sense sooo...
ip: 192.168.0.3
subnet 255.255.255.0
in suse 10 if you go to some hosts/dns window thing i've had to change the
name of the pc in there back to what it was on the old network for myth to
even bother doing anything, so that's "trefsomethingorother", same as was in
my old backedup myth database around the third bunch of writing stuff...
workgroup is what i've got from my xp box. i've added 2 dns servers (my
isp's ones).

anyway, after all that i eventually managed to get the frontend stuff using
the correct skin, and for a few seconds mythweb even worked *and* showed all
my old recordings.

but bar those few seconds it's constantly giving errors like fsocksstuff or
"is mythbackend running?" "should i shoot myself now?" lalala... and trying
to view recordings in mythfrontend it just gives up after a while.

3. i figured if my settings are ok, i don't care if i can view my old
recordings or not, so i figured i'd just try tuning the channels again (now
i'm 200 miles away from where i was last). that's about as useless as when i
first tried it when i first tried mythtv. just searches transports flicking
between locked and unlocked for a while, forget what the printout is but
basically it's just repetitive errors,  doesnt find any transports or
channels.

oh and mythfilldatabase doesnt like runnig either. bascially it's all a bit
of a mess.

and why does a pvr need to be connected to a network anyway? seems it's the
cause of most problems (at least for me), and all it's used for is the epg.

as ever, it took one button click (literaly) in windows (dual boot) to get
the pvr on there running. so it's not the arial or anything. i'd use it
instead but it's recordings are pretty bad.

sooo... any help with networking or channel scanning or forcing myth to be
myth even though it doesn't think it has access to myth even though it's on
the same machine would be much obliged. i'm going for an install in under 2
weeks this time. i do have a final year uni project to finish. lord knows
i've already spent about 50 times longer trying to get linux programs
running than i have on that. and i've only got 4 weeks left now :o( err...
yeah....

Christopher

ps. Bilsdale West Moor or Emley Moor (UK) channel.conf's this way please :o)