[mythtv-users] deleted recording via filesystem - how to re-sync database?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 15:17:21 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running mythtv-0.18.1 on Gentoo Linux.
>
> Right now, recordings go to a wimpy 40 GB partition.  This partition
> filled up, causing "mysterious" mythtv behavior---I was unable to
> delete recordings through the frontend.  So I went to the filesystem
> and did a "rm *.nuv" in my video directory.
>
> The system now (seemingly) works as expected.  However, since I only
> deleted the files, and not their entry in the mythconverg database,
> they still show up in the frontend.

First, lets solve the initial problem... Is your recording drive and
SQL database on the same partition? This has been a common source of
this problem...
If so you will need to tell Myth to make sure there is at least 1GB of
free space on the recording drive. Or drop $100 on a 250GB recording
drive =)

> So what do I need to do in the database to re-sync against the
> filesystem?  It looks like there are several tables that deal with
> recordings, so I don't want to haphazardly start removing entries.

you will need to "touch" files for Myth to act on. "touch filename"
will create a 0byte file so that MythTV can then delete the file and
db entry. you can see what file Myth is looking for from the log.

> Other questions: I thought that mythtv by default had some kind of
> auto-expire enabled?  It appears that this is not the case.

it can, if you tell it to.

> I have a TB server in the basement.  I'd rather not run mythtv on
> the server, but would like to record to the fileserver via NFS.
> Based totally on secondhand knowledge, I've heard that recording to
> NFS can be problematic... is this true?

with the proper NFS mounting settings and a fast enough network it
should be no problem.
Search the list archives or the wiki and you should find all you need
on this topic.

--
Steve